Can't Open User Guide pdf
  • athers15 Posted on: October 2009
    I have just purchased a BeBook as a present, and thought it best to try it out. After charging the bebook, I tried opening the User Guide PDF, and after watching the egg timer for a few seconds, the message 'invalid file' appears. This seems a little worrying for a brand new product. I was going to download the latest software, but thought I'd get advise before doing so. Has this happened to anyone else before?
  • Stormchild A Posted on: October 2009
    Never heard of it before. Most unusual. Have you been able to open other books ok?
    Invalid file usually has two meanings. Either the file is protected by a DRM format the Bebook can not read or it is an e-book format the BeBook can not read. Neither would apply to the manual.
    Is this the BeBook 1 or the Mini?
    I presume that it's the BeBook 1, although it just has BeBook on the box. I haven't loaded any books onto it yet, as I thought it better to read the user guide first. The worrying thing is that it's the user guide which is pre-loaded by BeBook.
    There should be some books preloaded. If not, download 1 from this site and try it.
    If you send me a Private Message with your email address, I will send you a copy of the manual that I know works on mine.
    I have now downloaded the plain text version and pdf version of a book from the BeBook site, and copied them to the BeBook. When I turned the book on, I still only saw that the top three tabs out of the 8 had anything on them. These are: 1. Recent Files 2. User Guide 3. gpl_notice. I am beginning to think that I have been sold a duff one! Not happy!
    When you copied the files to the BeBook, did they show up in the removable drive that appears in Windows Explorer?
    Yes, I can now see the gpl_notice, USER GUIDE, and the two documents that I copied into the BeBook (In the removable drive only). I still can't see them in the BeBook itself, and I still can't open the User Guide. Can anyone help please?
  • Flippo Posted on: October 2009
    I have the same problem.
    I can read other PDF, however.
    Is it possible to become a good manuel for the BeBook 101.
    PM me your email address and I will send you a copy.
  • Bob C Posted on: October 2009
    Stormchild -

I have come across the "Invalid File Format" problem with a simple PDF that has worked fine for nearly a year. I'm using some "Experimental" LBook s/w though and it looks like they are using the ADE parser so I guess that is what is causing the problem.

I haven't mentioned it here before as it's not really a "BeBook" problem and it isn't causing me any hassle.

When the error pops up it seems that it will time out after a few seconds and driop back to the Bookshelf.

As far as I can tell this software just won't handle PDFs - I don't want to jump through DRM hoops to read simple PDFs (actually I have ditched PDF as a format to read on the BeBook anyway).

Thought I'd mention it as I don't think the OP's problem relates to the PDF but to the s/w loaded.

BobC
    said:

Stormchild -

I have come across the "Invalid File Format" problem with a simple PDF that has worked fine for nearly a year. I'm using some "Experimental" LBook s/w though and it looks like they are using the ADE parser so I guess that is what is causing the problem.

I haven't mentioned it here before as it's not really a "BeBook" problem and it isn't causing me any hassle.

When the error pops up it seems that it will time out after a few seconds and driop back to the Bookshelf.

As far as I can tell this software just won't handle PDFs - I don't want to jump through DRM hoops to read simple PDFs (actually I have ditched PDF as a format to read on the BeBook anyway).

Thought I'd mention it as I don't think the OP's problem relates to the PDF but to the s/w loaded.

BobC

It is strange that using the same firmware as the OP and Flippo, I can read the file with no problem. Neither have got back to me to say my file works, so I can only assume it does. In which case, it is simply a case of corrupt file. An observation. The Lbook firmwares seem to have a lot of problems. Do you find that?